The Great Comet of 1996
A record of the 1996 passage of Comet C/1996 B2 (Hyakutake)
Edited by Nick James
We have brought together some of the best colour and black and white
pictures of the comet taken by observers from around the world. A total
of 23 high quality photographs appear on four full-colour cover pages. Further
black and white photographs illustrate articles written by leading comet
is also a comprehensive 20 page summary of the comet's daily
- The Great Comet of 1996? John Bortle.
- Comet Hyakutake Nick James.
- Hyakutake from Down Under Andrew Pearce.
- Monitoring the comet's evolution Terry Platt.
- A Comet hunter's perspective Mauro Zanotta.
- The brightness evolution prior to perihelion Andreas Kammerer.
- Recording Hyakutake with large-format cameras Glyn Marsh.
- A Personal Account of the Great Comet Martin Mobberley.
- Observations at the Crni Vri Observatory Herman Mikuz.
- Reporting Comet Observations to The Astronomer Guy Hurst.
- Daily Observation Record.
This special publication is no longer available in a paper form but we are
now making it available in Adobe PDF format. The PDF file contains all of the
images that were in the paper original and is over 6MB in size.
The PDF version of the Handbook comes on the
TA CD-ROM. This CD also contains the entire
TA Hyakutake archive of images and visual observations.